Saturday, October 6, 2018

A Disturbing Trend

Is that really something you want to brag about?
At first there was one, just a headstone that said: RIP. But it had been there all year. Some people like a nice headstone in their front yard. Who am I to judge? The SJG, that's who. If I don't judge the weirdness of a headstone in a front yard, ALL YEAR, who will? But, like I said, oh so poetically just a mo' ago, at first, there was one. And now they're multiplying. Here a headstone, there a headstone, everywhere a headstone. I can't be the only one who finds this trend morbid and deeply disturbing. Yesterday, able to see mucho más with my one working eye, I worked up the nerve to ask the tattooed gal across the street, "What up with all the headstones?" "Oh, the kids just love 'em." That told me plenty. For lack of something better to say, I said this: "Cool." Down the block I went, Sir Blakey by my side. Graveyard to graveyard, we rounded up the usual suspects. "What up with the cemetery?" Every time, the same plot point. "Oh, the kids just love 'em." Well, the SJG was once a kid. In many regards, I'm still a kid. And I don't get it. I find this graveyard thing just a little dark. And I still can't figure out why, year after year, at this exact same time, block after block, cemeteries and cob webs and skeletons infiltrate my 'hood. Por favor. Can anyone out there enlighten me?

2 comments:

  1. What better All American holiday is there than one that combines tricks, candy and running around in the dark? Incidentally, this year we have to be especially cautious not to offend witches, vampires, and other denizens of the night. Probably best to consider those gravestones as transitional housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, excellent advice. All I need is a bad vampire blood. I've got enough to worry about.

    ReplyDelete