Friday, October 19, 2018

You Never Know

There are times in life when the SJG must eavesdrop. Take yesterday, when the gal one salon chair over started in with the loud cell phone calls. I had no choice but to listen. As the hair color leeched into my keppy, I was the definition of a captive audience. The more this gal kibbitzed in a rather thick accent, maybe Israeli, I'm not sure, the more invested I became in her one-sided snippets:
"... ABC Carpets... Yes, of course, the measurements are exact. All in... $4,358."
"... The quality is stunning. You won't be disappointed."
"... Lasts an eternity."
"... No, but we can make referrals. We know everybody in the business."
"Thinking outside the box... that's our motto."
My mind went into overthinking mode, as it tends to do. Measurements. Stunning quality. Lasts an eternity. What kind of carpet lasts an eternity? You're lucky if you get five years. During a gap in calls, she turned me.
"Sorry about that. I don't like to do business in the chair."
"No worries. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of carpet do you sell?"
"Carpet?"
"Don't you sell carpet?"
"No."
"What do you sell?"
"Caskets."
"Oh!"
"They're beautiful and affordable. You'd be surprised how the funeral homes overcharge."
"I bet."
"Would you like me to send you a brochure?"
"No thanks, I'm not in the market just yet."
"You never know."
Serenity now

No comments:

Post a Comment