Thursday, October 25, 2018

Guessing Games

Drawer your own conclusions

All I wanted was a nail file. That's all. So I went looking in this powder room drawer, a repository for many... well, there's no PG way to put it, unusual items (more on that later), some lying in state for 18 years. There is so much going on in there, first aid supplies, cough drops, anti-itch creams, used and unused dental aids, including enough floss to wrap around the SJG Palatial Estate in an artistic Christo-like statement such as this:


Oh, and then there's the 2002 Zagat Movie Guide. To misquote Tennyson, something I've never done, intentionally, but now seems as good a time as any, "Ours not to reason why, ours but to do and die." As all rapidly aging English majors know, the real line is: "Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do & die." But given the worldwide absence of accuracy, why not make this quote somehow apply, metaphorically, to our powder room drawer? Just try and stop me. Too late. 


At this critical blog juncture, you may be wondering, what in God's name is she up to? Is there an actual point to today's ramble? I'm getting there. Promise. In my search for the nail file, eventually located beneath an adorable dinosaur comb, I shifted aside the afore-mentioned 2002 Zagat Movie Guide, only to discover not one, but two petite packets squirreled within its pages. 

What did I find? 

1. Two travel packets of Advil
2. Two travel sachets of L'Oreal Professional Repair Cellular Shampoo 
3. Two travel packets of Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen SPF 30
4. None of the above

The answer, duh: None of the above. 

I scooped up the hidden gems and went upstairs to quiz longtime hubby, post-shower. Clasping them behind my back, I demanded, "Honey, guess what I found in the powder room drawer." "Oh, God, what?" "Guess." "I don't know." "Come on. Think of the one thing you'd never ever expect to find in the powder room drawer." Whereupon he nailed it. "Trojans?" "Bingo." 

1 comment:

  1. TROJANS? Hmm...I would have picked you guys as Bruin fans.

    ReplyDelete