Sunday, September 18, 2011

Check Out Those Shoulder Pads

I look like a linebacker
Tonight I will watch the Emmy Awards and allow myself a brief mo' of nostalgia for all the times I got to attend the ceremony with my network-employed hubby.  It's not the celeb encounters I will think about, or who won and who didn't.  This isn't what makes me emote.  What does:  all those ill-fitting outfits I borrowed for the big night out.  The first time we went (1990), I wore my mother's black cocktail dress, my mother's pearls, my mother's earrings, my mother's bracelet.  With my short stylish 'do, and those broad shoulder pads, I looked exactly like, who else, my mother. The second year, when I was preggers with the future rapper, Scott D, I wore a pink chiffon two-piece thing that did me no favors, passed down from pregnant friend to pregnant friend, as some sort of cruel joke.  I looked like a giant party balloon on the verge of popping.  Another time, I wore my mother's black silk pantsuit and white lace top.  At some point, I advanced to my own wardrobe, a somewhat grownup move on my part, but borrowed jewelry from Carla.  The theory that "no one will be looking at you," served me well over the years of Emmy-going.  We stopped schlepping to the Shrine a while back, mainly because I couldn't find something sassy to wear.  So tonight I will watch the Emmy Awards, now held at the Nokia Theatre, in the comfort of my Sherman Oaks castle.  I will order the servants around.  "More champagne!  More imported caviar! Hurry up, bitches!"  I will root for the nominees.  I will cringe at the corny jokes and pray Jane Lynch is funny.  I will not wear shoulder pads.  Those have been retired.  Please God, may they never make a comeback.

6 comments:

  1. You've done it again! Hilarious. Have fun tonight...MORE champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look adorable. But, is it just me, or do those shoulder pads make your arms look really long? Here's to Jane, may she bring down the house. Cheers, SJG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicki, and Cathy, yes, my arms looked so long, it's weird!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what will you wear tonight? Pink fuzzy slippers, the hubby's boxers and old white oxfordcloth shirt? Perfect! Just don't skimp with the jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what a boring Emmys this year! Boooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mick, were you spying on me? I wore my pearls with pride, my fuzzies with style, and bedazzled the sofa for a little extra sparkle.

    ReplyDelete