Friday, September 23, 2011

Come Back Friends

With Mom, 1993
"Come back friends," my dad would say, whenever my mom and I left to go shopping.  The issue was always the same.  She wanted me to look stylish.  I wanted to blend in.  She wanted me to try something new.  I wanted to play it safe.  The shopping gene didn't kick in for a few decades.  We'd stand in the dressing room at an impasse.  She thought I looked great.  I thought I looked ridiculous.  It was hard to compromise.  Yet no matter how much I pouted, how much I resisted change, I wanted to please her.  Which explains that one time I showed up at school in white Go-Go boots and blue and white plaid knickers.  I looked like Twiggy's tragic third cousin.  It was a major fashion don't.  I still remember the combined eye roll and snicker I got from the boy I had a crush on, when he walked by.  Gone 12 years today.  I think of her when I shop for clothes.  I know what dress she would've liked, what outfit she would've wanted me to try on.  Wherever she is now, I know she's looking chic.  What I'd give to go shopping with her again.  And come back friends.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, SJG. This made me tear up a little. (Such a beautiful woman, your mother. Natch!) My mom and I were the opposite. She was the safe and traditional one; I was the trendy - often tasteless - experimenter. I must've told you I was denied go-go boots. Denied!! Cheers to your mama, tonight. Thinking of you.

    And, by the way, big feature story on "Book of Mormon" this Sunday on 60 Minutes. You're welcome. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I saved my Go-Go's...you'd be welcome to 'em, and the knickers too. Tasteless experimenter!!!! Luv it. I did get bolder as I got older. I can recall a few one-piece, belted numbers in the '80s that pushed my personal envelope! Thanks the "Book of Mormon" news. I'll Tivo that action, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so very fortunate to have those memories and the wealth of a treasured relationship with your mother. The go-go boots and knickers, I venture to guess, rank among her worst moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick, that was a bad call on her part, but generally, her taste was exquisite. I do remember her wearing a one-piece skin tight leopard print in the 60s, however. xx

    ReplyDelete