Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cloudy

... with a chance of eyeballs
There are those who Google medical issues.  There are those too afraid to Google medical issues.  I'm a Googler.  If anything, I over-Google.  When it comes to Google, I'm fearless.  A few years back, after a nice round of Googling, and wondering why I was looking a little yellow, I went to my doctor and gave my diagnosis: "It's my gallbladder."  It's not always fun to be right.  In the past few weeks, I've been Googling "black spots." I went to my doctor.  "It's low blood pressure, " I told him.  He took my blood pressure.  "That's not it," he said.  "So what is it?"  He examined me.  "I think you should have your eyes checked."  "I just had my eyes checked."  "Where?"  "Lenscrafters."  He nearly laughed me out of his office.  "That's like going to Disneyland to get your eyes checked."  "How dare you," I said.  "They have a full optometry thingy at Lenscrafters.  They know their sh*t."  "You're going to my eye doctor. Today."  "Fine."  "You think I'm crazy?" he asked.  "Little bit.  Cuz I just had my eyes checked."  "At Lenscrafters," he reminded me. Fast forward to oy vey: two tears in my left retina, emergency laser surgery yesterday, and don't worry, I'll be fine.  But I may have to rethink my plans to Google my way to a medical degree. 
The stylish-yet-mysterious SJG

3 comments:

  1. Now THOSE are some expensive sunglasses!! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. (Should this be in 18 point?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better. Eyes are nothing to fool with. Unless... you decorate them with cool frames.

    ReplyDelete