Monday, October 10, 2011

Milking It

Yes, we can



I said it eight times on the way home from the market.  I wanted to perfect the accent before I reenacted the scenario for hubby.  Once inside, I continued to say it another, I don't know, 15 times.  Then I had him saying it too, but, just between us, he never quite nailed the accent.  Before I walked Dusty, I said it a few more times.  "I have to get it out of my system, then I'll stop," I promised. But I wasn't done yet.  Later, the eldest called and I had to say it again, and make him say it.  He grabbed it and made it his own.  I grabbed it back. I thought I was done saying it, I really did, but this morning, I rebooted and now I'm back to square one, and I need to make you say it too.  So here's what put me in this dicey mental zone.  It went something like this:  I was in the parking lot, putting my recyclable earth-friendly super cool billboard grocery bags in the trunk of my car, when I noticed a woman standing off to the side, staring at me.  I shut the trunk and she stepped closer.  My mind started to race.  Uh-oh.  What up?  I looked at her.  She looked at me, and said, in a very thick Spanish accent: "itakeit."  I said nothing.  She said it again: "itakeit."  I smiled, stupidly.  It's not often you're faced with such a run-on sentence.  I started to move my cart. She took a step closer, and said, slower this time, "I take it."  Lightbulb moment!  She wanted to take my cart, as opposed to something else, like my left shoe or one of my recyclable earth-friendly super cool billboard grocery bags, which she'd have to fight me for, and she'd lose, because  I love those freakin' bags.  Love. Them. So. Much. Now that I understood her goal, I sent the cart her way.  I wanted to say, "Take it."  But I didn't.  I didn't want my own tired-woman-on-the-brink accent to tarnish hers.  Then I got in my car and said it over and over, emphasizing different words till I got it just right.  "I take it."  "I take it."  "I take it."  Finally, I settled on smushing the words together, till they made no sense.  I offer this phrase to you now, free of charge.  I'm hoping by this afternoon, "I take it" goes viral.  Let's do this, people.  Take it away.

1 comment: