Friday, February 17, 2012

Smuckered

Every morning, Monday through Friday, the employed son joins us for breakfast.  Some days he carpools to work with hubby.  Some days, he schleps by himself.  Either way, sharing breakfast with his aging parents is a wonderful tradition, one I've told him needs to continue, basically, forever.  No matter where he lives, no matter where life takes him, he must come over for breakfast Monday through Friday, no exceptions.  When the SJG takes a stand, I never waver.  Most mornings, I make him pancakes from scratch, served with maple syrup I've personally siphoned from the tree out back.  I get up around 4 a.m., feed the chickens and I'm at the stove. What?  You don't believe me?  How dare you!  Oh, fine.  I exaggerated.  I don't feed the chickens.  I don't make pancakes.  I don't have a tree that makes maple syrup.  But I do make a mean slice of toast.  On the TV while we formally dine:  "The Today Show."  Much like his father, the eldest has many opinions on the mental state of random public figures, celebrities and regular people who've done something weird to get themselves on national TV.  The other morning, the giant Duggar family appeared, which inspired a 10-minute riff on their name.  It was Duggar this, Duggar that.  He decided Dusty needed a name change, to Duggar.  "Come here, Duggar."  This went on for awhile, until Willard Scott and the Smucker's Birthday Segment.  The eldest comes unhinged every time he sees the little photo embedded in the Smucker's label. "There's no way that woman is 100 years old.  She looks 70.  The Today Show is lying."  "They would never do that."  "They should stop doing this Smucker's thing."  "You feel strongly about it."  "Yes, I do."  "Why?"  "It's cheesy and very outdated and they need to move on."  "What would you suggest instead?"  "Anything.  They're showing pictures of ancient people.  No one wants to see that in the morning."  "Does this you mean you won't submit my photo to Today when I turn 100, kina hora?"  "I wouldn't do you the injustice."  "What would you do, instead?"  "Visit you every day for breakfast."  "That's my boy."

2 comments: