Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vitamin K

When my mother-in-law learned I had a cold, she repeated the same advice she's given me many times, and by many, I mean, I knew what she was going to say before she said it, but didn't interrupt, because that would've been so rude.  Rather than suggest the time-honored Jewish pencillin, which couldn't hurt, she said, "You know, I never get sick, but once in a while, when I get a cold, here's what I do.  I drink an entire gallon of orange juice.  Not all at once, but throughout the day.  I just leave it on the counter, and take a big gulp here, a gulp there, and I'm cured.  I'm living proof that what's his name was right about Vitamin C."  "Linus Pauling?"  "Ever since he wrote that book, I've been drinking a gallon of Vitamin C and it works every time I get a cold, which is almost never."  "That's great."  "Do me favor, and drink some orange juice."  "Absolutely."  Sadly, I didn't.  I lied to my mother-in-law.  I didn't drink any orange juice.  Not even a cup.  And I'm feeling better.  I drank tea and water.  I rested.  I blew my nose 1,800 times an hour.  I kvetched like crazy.  For some, Vitamin C does the trick.  For me, it's Vitamin K.  I kvetched that cold right out of my system. Try it some time.  You might be surprised. 

4 comments:

  1. Kvetch brand tissues, Kvetch brand tea, Kvetch brand juices...you just may have something there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it is vitamin K then. At least, you now know. :P

    ReplyDelete