Monday, November 24, 2014

Looking For Mrs. Cubbison

Here she is!  I found her!
The elderly woman turned to me in despair. "I can't find Mrs. Cubbison." The SJG understood her pain. "Well, you are in Pavilions," I said. I left out the rest of the description, for fear of offending her. Over here, we call it Crappy-Ass Pavilions because it's always out of whatever you've gone there to buy. The woman stared at me and moved on. Clearly, I had done nothing to comfort her.  The situation felt unresolved. Until, a moment later, I found Mrs. Cubbison just sitting on a shelf, waiting for an admirer to bring her home for Thanksgiving.  I grabbed her, determined to do a mitzvah.  I would track down that elderly woman and hand her the coveted item. I scurried up and down the aisles, anxiously. Where did she go? Where? Where? She was here a minute ago. Oh, look. She was already in line. "Excuse me," I called out. "I found Mrs. Cubbison!" The woman glanced at the holy grail of cornbread, then at me, and deadpanned, "That's too much stuffing.  I'm only making a small turkey." That was it. No "thank you, short person." No nothing. For my attempted mitzvah, I got a big box of bupkis in return. But that's okay. The reward for attempting a mitzvah, is to attempt another mitzvah and what could be more satisfying than that?
(11-24-12)

1 comment: