Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Start Your Gobble, Gobble


Today starts the SJG Official Obsession over Thanksgiving, a holiday loaded with memories, mostly good, some painful. In the past, we've heard happy news on Thanksgiving: "We're engaged!" And sad news, too, implying: "This is my last Thanksgiving." This year, setting the table is a dicey proposition. This year, a few empty seats will haunt me. There's a family estrangement I never saw coming. And a daddy who can only pull up a chair from the Great Deli in the Sky. And yet, turkeys, two at last count, need to be bought n' basted. Chairs need to be shlepped out of the garage. There are forks and knives and plates that need arranging, and house guests, two at last count, to make comfy. A busy Thanksgiving awaits the SJG. The reinvention, once again, of my favorite holiday. Life is life, as my family says. In the long run, we can't rewrite the rules, but we can keep trying, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment