Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Macaroon Fever

I'll be honest with you.  I find little about Passover irresistibly delish. Would I miss the gefilte?  No.  Lox, I would miss.  I would cry from lack of lox.  But gefilte, not so much.  Would I miss the crunchy stuff spelled fourteen different ways, because Jews can't agree on much? Not really. Put something on  matzoh, and immediately that matzah is going to taste better.  Butter, cream cheese, peanut better?  That's a serious matzo upgrade. But just between us, I wouldn't miss a year without matza.  I'd survive. In fact, I could probably go many years without noticing an absence of unleavened anything.  Give me gluten and I'm good.  Call me untrendy.  I was raised on bagels.  In terms of matzoh, I'm not that sentimental. The one thing I'd miss, foodwise: macaroons. Chocolate-covered macaroons, to be specific.  A year or two without a chocolate macaroon would make for a bitter, withdrawn SJG.  So now the secret is out. What I love about Passover (and this year, there wasn't much to love without my favorite old Brooklyn Jew seated next to me), what I honestly adore?  A nice chocolate macaroon.  I'm so glad I have a few left over. Correction: had a few left over.  As of this morning, they're all gone.  Hmm. I guess I'm not the only one in the house who prefers macaroons to matzoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment