Monday, July 4, 2016

Independence Day In Sherman Oaks

Independence Day in Sherman Oaks means many different things to people I don't know or want to know. For the SJG, the holiday is a day to get closer to finishing that macrame flag I've been crafting since I first went to camp in Big Bear back in 1968. Only 42 stars left and I'll be done. Also, it's a day to spend with whatever family members I'm still talking to, and vice versa, competing in heated watermelon seed-spitting contests. Whoever wins cleans up the mess. If that doesn't scream fun, stay home. And, while we're on the subject, it's a day to recite the Declaration of Independence in Yiddish while dancing the hora to the 1812 Overture. You think that's easy? Try it and get back to me.  Above all, July 4th reminds us that without question, the very silly, quasi-revolutionary ideals as expressed in this here blog are the only ones you should embrace. If the SJG's kugel hasn't set you free by now, you might as well surrender your quest for personal happiness. And let's face it. No other blogger in modern times understands the significance of a good bagel more than the SJG. Throw in some nice coffee cake and your festive barbecue is complete. Am I right? Of course I am. On top of which, no other blogger understands the Art of Tolerating The Ones You Love on national holidays better than the SJG. All it takes is a few beers and self-ejecting patio furniture that lets your people know, in no uncertain terms, it's time to leave. And so, on behalf of, who else, me, Happy Independence Day. Let freedom ring, but please, not too loudly. I may be napping.

2 comments:

  1. The declaration of independence in Yiddish is tough while dancing the hora - you're right as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you agree, Bubbles. Imagine doing it under water.

    ReplyDelete