Friday, April 27, 2018

All About The Awl

"A very wise man told me once that the awl is an indispensable tool. He said you can do anything with an awl. Now, can I make my wife reappear from Chicago where she is attending her reunion instead of attending to breakfast for our children? No. Can I figure out how to open a jar of never-opened kumquat marmalade? No. After several minutes of working the jar, I have an inspiration. The Ben Starr all-purpose awl. It works! Jam crisis averted. With my eldest now happy with her marmalade and her bread, what does she say to me? 'Thank you' ? Wrong. 'This jam tastes terrible. I think I’ll try the raspberry.' "

-- courtesy of Dan Harrison, who learned so much from his weekly lunches with my daddy, he just had to share this gem. And I'm so happy he did. Just between us, I had to look up "awl." I Googled "what the @#$% is an awl?" Oh! Of course, of course! My whole life, Ben Starr was all about the awl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment