Saturday, April 21, 2018

When Words Collide

You never know when total strangers are going to pass judgment on you, but based on personal experience, when it happens, it's never complimentary. Take the time, a zillion years ago, when the SJG (Exhausted Young Motherhood Edition) popped into a tiny market on the corner to buy a big gallon of milk for my sons (Exhausting Young Boyhood Edition). It was a hot summer day. As the man behind the counter, a foreigner, rang up the purchase, he looked at me and smiled. "You must be very fat today." I was taken aback. Many responses ran through my keppy: "How dare you!" "It's baby weight." "@#$% you!" Instead, I said, "What?!" "You must be very FAT today," he repeated. Well, it sounded even worse the second time. "Yeah, okay, uh, thanks," I said. Turning to leave, it hit me. Maybe he'd meant something else! I looked back at him. "Do you mean thirsty?" He smiled and nodded. "Yes," he said, "you must be very thirsty." "Yes," I said, relieved not to be fat shamed. "I'm very, very thirsty."

No comments:

Post a Comment