Friday, April 6, 2018

Friday Night Fever

The invitation arrived, as most invitations arrive these days, via email. " '70s Disco Party!" Just like that, I found myself boogying on down memory lane until I hit a yellow brick road block. Disco-wise, I have almost zero memories! How can this be? I'll tell you how. Because I mainly enjoyed the whole disco thing cinematically, courtesy of this guy:
And this movie: 
I first saw "Saturday Night Fever" by myself in a little movie theater in Brighton, England. It didn't hit the UK till March 1978. While I was a student abroad, disco took off, along with roller disco (oy vey). Two big crazes, and I pretty much missed both. I have a vague memory of dancing at a disco on a Greek isle, but I seriously doubt I did any moves like this:
I saw "Saturday Night Fever" again in the summer of '78, in Israel, with Hebrew subtitles and a forced, weirdly-timed Intermission. It was a Cultural Experience. By the time I got back to Los Angeles, the disco craze had peaked and was on its way out. The late-'70s roller skating mania was still going strong. I made my one and only attempt on the Venice boardwalk, fell on my knees and ripped my favorite jeans. A personal low point for me.
But tonight, in honor of my dear friend Nadine's birthday, I will bring forth my best "Friday Night Fever." I will wear chunky gold chains I found in an old jewelry box. I will wear metallic sandals (close enough) and a '70s-ish party dress. As God is my witness, I will do the Hustle. I will do whatever Nadine tells me to do. As Tony Manero says, "Look, tonight is the future, and I am planning for it!"

4 comments: