Wednesday, December 8, 2010

All I Wanted for Hanukkah

Tefillin Barbie
As Hanukkah winds down, I only wish my true love had given me Tefillin Barbie.  Maybe next year, if I'm good. I ask you, who wouldn't want a tallit-wearing, torah-reading Barbie? I always suspected Barbie was as Jewish as her creator, Ruth Handler, even though, let's face it, she does look like the ultimate shiksa goddess. (Don't even get me started on that goyisha Ken.) Tefllin Barbie comes to us courtesy of Jen Taylor Friedman, the first woman in modern times to have handwritten an entire Torah. (You go, girl!) Tefillin Barbie first appeared in 2006 and has been the subject of many articles, but it only just reached the short attention span of the SJG, thanks to Margit Roshal Crane(http://margitcrane.com/) my super smart high school pal.  So thanks, Margit. I'll take my Barbie wrapped up in Tefillin, with or without bendable legs, any time.  Maybe next year, if I'm good.
You're invited to a Barbie Bar Mitzvah

7 comments:

  1. I can just see Ken converting to a Yishiva Boychick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, equal time! I demand a Billy Joel-inspired Barbie ("Catholic girls start much too late...") in a hiked-up plaid uniform skirt, grey blazer with crest and chapel veil on her head. It's only fair, SJG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on it. An "Uptown School Girl" Don't forget, BJ is a Jew, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doh! That's right. And Christie Brinkley is such a BARBIE! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I didn't see the photo of the Bar Mitzvah. Check out the mom's hair! That was our generation for sure! (and thanks for the plug!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margit, the Mom mom hair is so 60s Aqua Net poofy. I think Mattel should hop on this bandwagon for next Hanukkah.

    ReplyDelete