Sunday, December 12, 2010

Oy, Tannenbaum

The SJG ponders the lack of Xmas party invites
The SJG doesn't get invited to many Christmas parties anymore.  Year after year, I have no one to RSVP to, except myself.  I can't help but wonder where I went wrong.  Was it the time I organized the rousing hora around the tree?  I did yell "Timber" before it fell to the ground, followed by, "Clean up on aisle three." I thought that covered it.  Was it the time I dressed up like a naughty elf and recited my youngest son's haftorah portion?  It got a standing O at his Bar Mitzvah.  I thought that covered it.  Was it the time I solicited all party-goers to give generously to the cult of the SJG?  I only asked for small donations, under a thousand dollars.  I thought that covered it.  And yet, I have a stack of citations for misbehavior and no filing system big enough to hold them.  Apparently, I've made a few strategic errors here and there, an innocent social faux pas now and then. I could use some clarity, and so, I turn to you, my peeps, for guidance.  Any thoughts on how the SJG might get back into the Xmas party scene?  'Tis the season, doncha know.  Feel free to share your ideas.  It's been so long since I've downed an entire punch bowl of eggnog.  I really miss the buzz.

4 comments:

  1. Do you know how many calories are in one cup of eggnog!!? Don't go there, SJG. It's a heart attack in a punch cup!! My invitation inventory is way down, too. I choose to believe people just aren't having parties like they used to. That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every night it is a different holiday gala for me to attend by horse drawn carriage.

    Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, stay away from eggnog? That's good advice, BG. And bro, I should hire a horse drawn carriage to crash the parties I'm not invited to: got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! I stumbled upon it this evening when I googled "Oy, Tannenbaum". I am in the process of writing a piece on Jews and Christmas trees and was going use that title if nobody had done so already! Oy, well, back to the drawing board--but so glad I found your cute blog in the process, SJG!
    --Tsada
    www.tsadakay.com

    ReplyDelete