Saturday, December 25, 2010

This Just In

Anderson Cooper in an attractive bespoke suit
On Christmas Eve Day, when all good Jews sit around doing nothing, my dad, the one, the only, Mr. Ben Starr, shared one his many theories with the SJG.  I was so impressed, I made him write it down and send it to me:  "At some undetermined time in the near future all the TV sets in the world will suddenly go dark. Then each set will light up again to reveal the presence of a distinguished-looking gray-haired gentleman wearing an attractive bespoke suit, shirt and tie."
"And the gentleman will say: 'Fellow humans and TV addicted animals, the inevitable dreaded moment has arrived. There is now proof positive that there are no more parking spaces in the world. You have exactly sixty seconds to bid farewell to your loved ones. After sixty seconds the world will implode. It’s been an interesting trip. God bless. (looking at his wrist watch) One…..two…' ”  Upon re-reading his Parking Prophecy of Doom, an Xmas downer, a buzz kill of the highest order,  I called him up and asked for clarification.  "What's an attractive bespoke suit?" On the other end, a loud sigh, followed by the thing he's said my entire life: "Look it up."  "Just tell me." "You should know what it means."  Oh, fine.  It means "custom-made."  Bespoke is now the SJG's favorite new word.  I plan to work it into my attractive bespoke blogs as often as I can.   Thanks, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. In the 70s I'm sitting in the Bruin Movie Theatre in Westwood Village watching a Golde Hawn. She got a huge laugh saying "I dropped out of UCLA 'cause I couldn't ever find a place to park."

    Merry Christmas to all...

    ReplyDelete