Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Panic

My favorite motto
Go ahead.  Ask me about my origins.  Ask me why I'm a certain way, and wait for a deep, psychoanalytical answer.  Or talk to hubby, my personal biographer, who knows all the dirt. The other night, I was reading an intense scene in Caroline Leavitt's wonderful new book, "Pictures of Me." (Read it.) There was rain and lightening and asthma going on, and I was so into it, so on the edge of my tush, that when hubby came through the bedroom door, I actually screamed.  Hubby didn't even flinch.  He's used to this behavior.  He walks into a room too quietly.  I don't hear him.  I startle easily.  I scream.  But it's not my fault.  For a full explanation of why the SJG is so freakin' jumpy, so prone to panic, hubby will hand you a copy of my (as yet) unpublished masterpiece, "I Felt Good About My Butt Back Then."  Basically, it starts with how the SJG entered the galaxy. Way back in the sweet, innocent late '50s, when Mom was in her last trimester with baby me, she got chicken pox, courtesy of Bro' 1 and Bro' 2. Complications ensued.  She became so sick with double pneumonia, that her gynecologist – “that man who almost killed me three times,” as she decribed him – kept her out of the hospital so she shouldn't spread germs.

Drama queen from the git-go, I hand-picked the middle of the night for my Hollywood debut.  Dad loaded Mom into the Oldsmobile and took off down Sunset Boulevard for County General, the only hospital that would admit a pregnant gal with an infectious disease.  He had never been to County General and had only a vague idea that it was somewhere downtown.  (This was before GPS, people.  Try to keep up.)  He deliberately ran every red light on Sunset to try to get arrested.  But there’s never a cop around when you need one.  So he stopped another car, asked for directions, and the driver said, right out a B movie, “Follow me!”

By the time Dad pulled into the parking lot, the SJG, a touch claustrophobic, wanted out.  As in, right now!  Handsome doctors ran out and delivered me in the back seat of the car.  My mom and I were immediately separated, which no doubt made me very, very nervous out the gate.  "Where's the nice lady?" I asked.  "Where'd she go?  Are you bringing her back?"  They put her in quarantine and saved her life with a new medicine called Cortisone. 

Meanwhile, I handed over a list of demands and got upgraded to Cedars Sinai, the ritzy hospital where famous people go to die.  Within a day, I had chicken pox too. They booted my baby butt out of there, and I went home, feeling like a displaced citizen.  Naturally, I took the whole thing personally, as I tend to do. (Talk to my sons.)  My new mommy had to slum it over at County General for two weeks before they let her come home to meet the miracle that is the SJG. And that, my friends, is a window into why I'm so freakin' jumpy, so prone to panic.

7 comments:

  1. OMG- I scream like that as well!
    Your story is much better than mine. 16-year-old mother, came into the world to the song, "Great Balls of Fire." 2 weeks later I was baptized by the bishop of Our Lady of Bleeding Hearts, and 2 days later said bishop walked into the ocean and killed himself. I believe he saw the devil- which was me.
    We are two of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hun, your story's plenty dramatic. "I believe he saw the devil - which was me." Too much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! There's just no competin' with you gals on this one. Mom was 40 hours in labor due to my gargantuan head-size which later required a special-order graduation cap. Pretty uneventful, for everyone but Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom pushed as hard as she could so that she would only have to share her own birthday with Mother's Day once every seven years. I was born a couple of hours ahead of her birthday, but somhow her birthday, my birthday and mother's day all blended together so that she got two presents for every one I got... not complainin' just sayin'... never been to a psychiatrist so I have no 'effin clue how this affected my persona.... somehow we'll all probably survive, screams and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the stories! Big thankies and hugs and pushes! Arrrggghh... get... this...thing...out of me Now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have given Mom the Chicken Pox! How dare you suggest it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did. It's all your fault, bro. All of it! hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete