Saturday, January 29, 2011

Look, There's Your Idol

People, people who need people
The eldest stops by Friday morning and sees the Calendar section of the L.A. Times on the counter.  On the front page, a photo of the one, the only, the magificent Carole King, featured in "Troubadours:  The Rise of the Singer-Songwriter," a new documentary that just premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.  "Look, there's your idol," my son says, "Barbra Streisand."  The SJG begins to shake uncontrollably. "Are you kidding me?  Have I taught you nothing?  That's not Barbra Streisand.  That's Carole King.  'You've Got A Friend.'  'Natural Woman.'  'Up on the Roof.'"  He takes another look at the photo and shrugs.  "You need to be more informed," I tell him.  "I could care less," he says, and grabs a blueberry muffin.  First he mistakes Julie Andrews for Judi Dench.  Now this.  I can hardly wait till he mistakes me for Betty White.

2 comments:

  1. You should have shot him in the face with a mister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent idea! Good for puppy training and child-rearing. I should've started this 23 years ago!

    ReplyDelete