Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'd Like To Thank The Academy

This is a very exciting morning for the SJG.  I've hit a personal milestone.  I've achieved the unachievable. For the first time in my life, I've seen every single movie nominated for Best Picture.  Woo-hoo.  Break out the bubbly.  It's party time in Sherman Oaks. BFD, you say?  How dare you!  How many of you slackers out there can say the same thing, huh?  True, the SJG has some advantages over you, specifically: a top-secret supplier of movie screeners, a great guy, a hero of mine, a dude who'd never want his name mentioned in connection with such a federal offense.  Those screeners are straight out of "Mission Impossible."  After viewing, they self-destruct.  But God forbid they don't self-destruct, due to technical difficulties.  They expect you to smash them into tiny pieces with your bare hands and sprinkle them over your matzoh brei.  Screeners or not, I challenge you to match my astonishing viewing record.  You have till 5 p.m.  Good luck.  The fact that I've seen most of these movies in the comfort of my home, as opposed to out there in theaters with germ-carrying commoners, may peg me as a snob.  Fine.  So be it.  I've been aiming for snobhood my whole life.  I do believe I've met my goal.  I'd like to thank the little people.  You know who you are.  Thank you.  And you.  And you.  Here's the SJG rundown of Best Picture Nominees.  Some I liked, some I loved, some I loved, loved, some left me scratching my keppy, some left me saying, WTF? 
'Black Swan' :  keppy-scratcher
'The Fighter':  liked it, didn't love it
'Inception':  WTF?
'The Kids Are All Right':  loved, loved it
'The King's Speech':  loved, loved, loved it
'127 Hours':  loved, loved it
'The Social Network':  loved it
'Toy Story 3': loved it
'True Grit':  sleep-inducer
'Winter's Bone': loved, loved it

2 comments: