Thursday, September 27, 2012

How To Atone In Style

The green dress from "Atonement" seemed wrong for temple
The road to atonement is filled with a few fashion potholes, and you can quote me on that.  The SJG likes to look nice at temple.  I'm fascinated by the style choices of my fellow congregants.  Not that I judge, but I don't wish to be singled out by the Big Gal for "what were you thinking?" I want to make it into the Book of Life, not the Book of Fashion Missteps.  So yesterday, as I stood before my mirror, vainly admiring the pretty top I'd selected for the morning service, I glanced at the right sleeve and noticed a tiny hole. My first instinct was to ignore it.  Would anyone but the SJG detect this flaw in the fabric?  They'd need really great vision to see it.  I decided the microscopic tear was an important reminder on this holiest of days.  I should accept my imperfections.  I should lighten up.  I felt strongly about this for exactly two seconds.  Off came the top, and a layer of carefully-applied makeup with it.  I know myself so well.  I'd be distracted by the hole.  I'd sit there and obsess on the hole instead of focusing on a litany of other issues worthy of atonement. But changing tops presented more challenges.  I started flinging blouses off hangers.  Will this work?  What about this?  How dumb will this one look?  Should I wear that dress instead?  I was exhausted, and I hadn't even left the house.  Finally, I yanked a shade of gray that brings out the angst in my eyes, and put it on.  It looked okay with the black skirt, but not great.  I belted it.  Better.  Then I searched for a scarf.  I knew exactly the one that would look fetching and "dress" up this boring ensemble.  But I couldn't find it.  So I gave up.  A final glance in the mirror.  "Understated.  Maybe a little safe," I said.  It wasn't till I parked and stepped into the sunlight that I noticed the tiny olive oil stain on the left sleeve.  Atonement is hard.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of Fashion Temple Statements... what was up with the guy in the suit sitting in front of us with rainbow colored socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete