Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hustle Your Bustle

Strolling through the Metropolitan Museum's "Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity" exhibit with the tall, elegant Connie Ray, the SJG couldn't help but notice the accentuation of the backside in the 19th century.  Good to know they appreciated the booty.  "I wouldn't have needed a bustle had I lived back then.  I've got a built-in bustle," I said, smacking my tush.  An inappropriate gesture in a serious institution of art?  Perhaps.  I'll let you to decide.  Connie weighed in on the matter, a little too quickly for my liking. "You'd be the Kim Kardashian of the 1860s." "Should I be offended or flattered?" "Flattered." "Hmm.  In that case, thank you, Connie.  Kim is my personal fashion icon."  "I know."

Early body shapers
We both agreed that corsets would've done us in, no matter the century.  This is a trend that should never make a comeback.  Fashion gods, are you listening?  To corsets, we say no.
I have nothing like this in my closet.  
The bustle lives!  Punk edition
I have three graffiti dresses just like these.  How many do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment