Thursday, May 18, 2017

Dolly & Natsha & Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

On a hot, muggy NYC day, it was a dream come true to see Bette Midler in my all-time favorite show "Hello, Dolly!" I was so happy, so gleeful, so completely giddy, that I had to fight the urge to sing every song out loud. All it took was one dirty look from the lozenge-sucking gal next to me to get myself under control. That's how far I've come. Aren't you proud of your SJG? But come on! Bette and David Hyde Pierce starring in the greatest, funniest Broadway extravaganza? Best. Time. Ever. I may never get over it. Never!
I know, I know, Josh Groban looks a lot like Tevya. But get a grip, nice people. He's Pierre. 
Two shows in one day? What am I, crazy? A little bit, or a lot, depending on the angle. "Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812" is the craziest pop opera this dainty-ass Jew has ever seen. Good thing Bubbles was with me to interpret and join in the silliness of it all. The audience gets pulled into the show at every turn. At one point, Bubbles and I were part of the musical accompaniment. I'm serious. We think we deserve compensation. Don't worry, we've got our attorneys on it. In the meantime, I wish I could tell you what this wild Russian show is about, but it's beyond my limited, overly-pollenated brain. I mean, there's a chart in the program with arrows and everything. Let's just say it's an avant garde, wackadoodle, super-inspired musical take on "War & Peace" and you can't hum a song from this circus to save your life.
And yet... it's fabulous. At least, that's what Bubbles tells me and I believe her. 

2 comments:

  1. SJG, Bubbles, Knishes, Maraca Eggs.... shaken, not stirred and you have some fabulous! I shake my little egg every day and find myself in 1812 - still haven't heard from the lawyers or gotten any travel per diem?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bubbles, we may have to take this to the Supreme Court! Miss you already xo

    ReplyDelete