Saturday, February 3, 2018

You Think You've Got Problems?

The following benefits question comes courtesy of Mike, one of my wonderful students, who asked me to read it out loud in class, and by class I mean a nice comfy conference room located in beautiful downtown Burbank. I share it with you now, tweaked a bit, of course, in hopes it will be benefit you:

Dear Benefits Maven,
Many years ago, I married a widow out of love, who had an 18-year-old daughter. After the wedding, my father, a widower, came to visit a number of times, and he fell in love with my stepdaughter. My father eventually married her without my authorization. As a result, my stepdaughter became my step mother and my father became my son-in-law. My father's wife (also my stepdaughter) and my stepmother, gave birth to a son who is my grandchild, because I am the husband of my stepdaughter's mother. As the son of my father, this boy is also my brother.

As you can see, my wife became a grandmother, because she is the mother of my father's wife. Therefore, it appears that I am also my wife's grandchild. A short time after these events, my wife gave birth to a son, who became my father's brother-in-law, the stepson of my father's wife, and my uncle. My son is also my stepmother's brother, and through my stepmother, my wife has become a grandmother and I have become my own grandfather.

In light of the above mentioned, I would like to know the following: Does my son, who is also my uncle, my father's son-in-law and my stepmother's brother, fulfill the requirements of receiving childcare benefits?

Sincerely Yours,
Confused in Cucamonga
Dear Cucamonga,
I'll have to get back to you.

You're Welcome,
Benefits Maven

No comments:

Post a Comment