Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Gloss It Up

Such a nice feeling when the nice people you've surrounded yourself with every Tuesday for the past five months, the nice people you lavish with praise and Pepperidge Farm cookies, turn out to be keenly observant of your behavior. The afore-mentioned observational prowess became quite clear yesterday, when my habitual usage of lip gloss took center stage in one of my student's hilarious stories. She had the entire class trapped in the parking garage for days on end, and my biggest complaint concerned not the lack of food, the lack of family contact, the lack of caffeine, but my dwindling supply of lip gloss. I must admit I was both honored and alarmed. "Highly astute reference to my lip gloss," I told Phyllis. "I thought so," she said. "But how did you know the importance of lip gloss in my life?" Here, the gal we call Carol Roman Numeral Two chimed in, "How did we not know?" "Meaning?" "Meaning we see you using the lip gloss." "And?" "And nothing." "Well, you know my personal philosophy is lip glossed based." "That, we didn't know," said Phyllis. "Shall I explain?" "You're going to anyway," said Mike at the other end of the table. "It's important to look lovely." "Go on," said Jane. "Tell us more," echoed Nury. "Tell us less," said Bruce. "There's nothing more to tell. It's the way I was raised. Put on your face. Go out there and look lovely." Next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment