Friday, January 19, 2018

A Gift From Beyond

Ben Starr on the bulletin board: The Air Force Lieutenant. 
The Hollywood Writer. The Bar Mitzvah Boy. 

As I continue to celebrate my birthday week, milking it for all I can, I pause to celebrate my sweet father, who passed away four years ago today. The fact that his yahrzeit falls a few days after my birthday might not seem like the best timing for a comedy writer. On the other hand, it was so Ben Starr of him to skip my birthday as his departure date. So, considerate man that he was, he waited a few days before taking off for the Big Deli in the Sky, where I imagine they serve a bottomless bowl of matzoh ball soup and corned beef to die for. Yeah, I went there. I just can't help myself. He raised us to find humor in everything, even the toughest things. I miss him like crazy. I channel him daily. He always said the secret to getting older was to keep having birthdays. He forgot to mention that he might not always be here to share them. I had to figure that part out on my own. He's forever in my heart and in my soul. Every time I think of him, I smile. His memory is the gift that keeps on giving, which makes perfect sense. He was the ultimate giver of joy and laughter, and now he's a gift from beyond.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Carol, Belated happy birthday wishes. 4 years since your Dad died? That means I've been reading your delightful musings for that long too. Keep on keeping on SJG. Brighton Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much. It's so great to hear from you, Brighton Gal. Move love xo

    ReplyDelete