Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Such A Strange Flower

On a walk with Sir Blakey, as he ran hither and yon, looking for the perfect place to tinkle, as one does when nature calls, I noticed a neighbor's lovely front garden, and in my best Katherine Hepburn accent, said, "The calla lies are in bloom again." Sir Blakey wasn't at all impressed. But that didn't deter me. I needed to know more about the origin of this wistful line. So later, in a moment of quiet reflection, I turned to my personal SJG search engine, Kugel, to explore this cinematic dash of magic:

Well, I learned so much. This scene, as only one person in my life knows, and that would be my brother John, comes from "Stage Door." But that's not all! Katherine Hepburn is making fun of herself and her biggest failure, borrowing the mournful calla lilies line from a horrible flop play she appeared in called "The Lake," a critical bomb, an early career low point. Hear, hear, Ms. Hepburn. Self-deprecation is essential, don't you agree?
The full line, which I plan to memorize, tweak and utter at this weekend's Seder: "The calla lilies are in bloom again, such a strange flower, suitable for any occasion, even Passover."

No comments:

Post a Comment