Friday, June 15, 2018

It Was 50 Years Ago Today

A few months ago, my brother John, a mensch of all mensches who remembers every momentous occasion in his life, unlike his sister, who can't tell what day or date it is without checking, called me up with the following news: "On June 15, it will be the 50th anniversary of my Bar Mitzvah." "Mazel tov, honey." "I was Bar Mitzvahed on June 15, 1968." "L'chaim." "In honor of my Bar Mitzvah, we're going to the Bel-Air Hotel to celebrate." "Even though your birthday isn't till the 22nd?" "I wasn't Bar Mitzvahed on the 22nd. I was Bar Mitzvahed on the 15th." "Technically, you weren't 13." "Who cares?" "God cares. He cares a lot." "Whatever. Put it in your calendar." "Why the Bel-Air Hotel?" "Are you seriously asking me that?" "I was 10." "What's your point?" "Tell me why, I'm begging you. My brain can only hold so much information." "That's where the party was." "Are you planning to recite your Torah portion?" "I'm performing the entire service." "What do I have to do?" "Just sit there." "I can do that."
Brother & sister at Leo Baeck Temple: 50 years ago today! 

6 comments:

  1. Carol, you are so funny....and so spot on! Love it. Mandy G in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who cares?" "God cares. He cares a lot."
    I will be answering every question today with "God cares. He cares a lot."
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete