Saturday, June 30, 2018

Dependence Day

Dear SJG,
Is it true that you've launched a campaign to re-name the 4th of July "Dependence Day"? If so, please explain yourself, cuz it sounds a little un-American.
Thanks,
Outraged in Omaha
Dear Outraged,
Listen Buster, I'm about as un-American as the recent attempt by my favorite newlyweds to make tarte tatin, which was really a fancy name for Apple Pie. I'm plenty American. And like any real American, I'm depending on my loved ones and close personal people to get me through this bleepity-bleepity time when nothing makes sense. I mean, seriously. Aren't we all just hanging on by a thin thread? Clinging to our beliefs for dear life? And if my beliefs aren't your beliefs, than bleep you and the horse you rode in on? So why not call it what it really is: A National Day of Dependence on whatever helps us forget how completely screwed we are on every level. Hence, the requested name change.
You're Welcome,
The SJG
"Yes, that's correct. And the horse you rode in on."

2 comments:

  1. Note from the Bank of Dad: Henceforth, this fourth day of July shall be known as Dependents Day, in recognition that independence is a myth of modern life and the endure and fealty to family and fiscal values therein. Refinance. Be Calm. Carry On.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Steve. You may be my co-chair of this name change trend. xo

    ReplyDelete