Sunday, June 24, 2018

Pronounce This!

Laura Bell Bundy in "Sweet Charity" Reprise 2.0

The friendly brother-sister disagreement started at dinner. 
John: "I remember seeing ri-Preez when it was -- "
Me: "You mean ri-Prize."
John: "No, I mean ri-Preez." 
At this juncture, our dinner/theater companions, Carla and Norman, exchanged looks. 
"Which is it?" I asked them. "Isn't it ri-Prize?"
I could see they didn't want to mix in.
"It's ri-Preez," John said.
Norman weighed in. "I always thought it was ri-Preez."
Carla nodded. Traitor.
"So it's not ri-Prize?" I asked the table, not quite ready to humbly admit defeat. 

Krystal Joy Brown, Laura Bell Bundy, Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer

Not until Marcia Seligson, the producing/artistic director, stepped onto the stage of the Freud Playhouse at UCLA to welcome us to ri-PREEZ 2.0. And I guess she should know. She'd launched the first version of Reprise in 1995. And every time she said ri-PREEZ, and she said it a lot, John attempted not to lord it over me. I quickly caved.
Me: "You win."
John: "Thank you."

And there you have it. A one-word reprise of our entire childhood. Smarty pants younger sister taking on theater-centric/trivia maven middle brother, a trend that continues to this day. (Okay, fine, but just between us, when Frank Sinatra founded Reprise, his own freaking record label, he pronounced it ri-PRIZE. So there.)

Laura Bell Bundy and Robert Mammana 

No matter how it's pronounced, the Reprise 2.0 version of "Sweet Charity," directed and choreographed by Kathleen Marshall, is an exhilarating blast from the past, 1966 to be exact, full of great songs -- "Big Spender," "If My Friends Could See My Now" -- and fabulous Fosse-inspired dance numbers. Go see it. Tell 'em the SJG sent ya.

Laura Bell Bundy and Barrett Foa

Through July 1st. Tickets:  https://www.reprise2.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment