Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hello, Mother

The phone rings at 7:52 this morning.  "Hello, mother."
"Hello, angel."
"Okay if I come for breakfast?"
"Only if you give me hugs and kisses."
"I can do that."
A few minutes later, he arrives.  Thanks to SJG Apartment Finders, Inc., he's conveniently located down the street.  He delivers the mandatory outpouring of affection, and takes over the kitchen.  He's heating a croissant, grabbing lunch supplies, making himself a noon-time feast to bring to work. 
"Going so soon?"
"Gotta get gas."
Dusty and I follow him to the door.  "Dinner tonight?"
"Maybe.  Probably not.  I'll let you know."
I'll be waiting by the phone.

5 comments:

  1. A Mother's work is never done!

    (feel free to quote me...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read an article about Helicopter Parents. Whatever could that mean?
    I'm refueling now, will be rotating in 15...wanna be my wing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this raises to Helicopter Mom designation unless:
    1. Mom snuck freshly baked chocolate chip cookies into the lunch sack
    2. He drops off laundry and commits to dinner as soon as he can pick up clean, pressed clothes
    3. Mom hands him the gas card or slips him two crisp $20's because, you know, gas has gotten so expensive and his car needs a wash.

    ReplyDelete