Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Popeye Defense


How nice to find my entire philosophy summed up and on display at a mid-town sidewalk kiosk, and in large print, too:  "People say I have a bad attitude.  I say screw 'em!" "Sarcasm:  Now Served Daily." "Wine! How classy people get wasted." "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." "Some call it bitching.  I call it motivational speaking." "Amazingly enough, I don't give a sh*t." "I don't expect everything handed to me,  just set it down wherever."  "I can only please one person per day.  Today I choose me." I'm happy to report I've applied some of this inherent snarkiness throughout my stay in NYC. Whenever someone approaches me with an aggressive sales pitch -- every 15 minutes or so -- I'm armed with an appropriate answer. On the street:  "Pedicab ride!  Through the park!  What's wrong?  Don't you want a pedicab ride?"  "I could live my whole life without a pedicab ride."  At the fancy-schmancy department store:  "Give me your hand. See this lotion?  It takes all the redness out."  "Don't spray that on my -- @#$%!  What is that?!" "It's magic.  Look at  your right hand!  Now look at your left!  Which looks better?"  "Are you Israeli?"  "Half."  "I'm not going to buy this."  "It's a shame, because your right hand looks better than your left." "You're trying to make me feel bad about myself. And guess what, it's working."  At the theater last night, a young man (who just climbed over me) asks his friend, two seconds before "Peter and the Starcatcher" is about to start, "Do I have time to pee?" I lean over and look at him.  "No!"  I want to add, "I told you to go before we left home," but I show restraint.  Only because the actors are now on stage.  Much like Popeye, I yam what I yam, wherever I go.

3 comments:

  1. And how was "Peter and the Starcatcher" Ms. Sees Shows on Broadway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie said you should see Starcatcher and Once... but as always, you're ahead of the curve... jealous x 2.

    ReplyDelete