Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Weather Man

A phone conversation with my all-time favorite human, a real mensch of a guy who used to make it rain during WWII, so his squadron wouldn't have to fly missions over Germany.  My entire life, he's had the uncanny ability to control the weather.  But just between us, his track record in recent years has been a little spotty.  "Hi, Daddy.  Are you eating lunch?"  "I'm about to.  I've boiled two eggs.  I took one out of the water.  I'm going to take the other one out now, and then I'm going to make egg salad."  "Sounds delish. You want me to call back?"  "Sure."  "Can I tell you one thing, though?"  "Okay."  "You need to get busy with the weather in New York."  "Please.  I've got it covered."  "That's what you said last year when I went to New York, and the year before, and it rained plenty and I got very wet."  "I don't remember that." "Are you sure you still have the power to control the weather?"  "Of course.  Why are you even worried?"  "Because the NY forecast calls for rain twice next week."  "Relax.  I'm taking care of the whole week for you."  "Okay, Daddy.  You better.  Enjoy your lunch." "I will, if you ever let me off the phone."

2 comments: