Monday, May 7, 2012

Top That! (Part 2)

I can top that!
A while back, I googled "kvetch" and up came my photo and blog.  I'll admit, it was a personal highpoint.  It pleases me to know I've made a slight dent in my on-going quest for fame and glory.  Well, this morning, another highpoint.  I googled, "Can you top that?" and up came another blog I'd written, about people who always try to top you with a better story.  I'd forgotten I'd written about that particular quirk of human nature.  And now I'm going to write about it again.  At the gym on Saturday, I told my friend Gene about my parking lot nightmare, embellishing it as I went along.  "It was awful," I said.  "I felt like I'd never get out of there.  I thought it was my fate to stay in that parking lot, till the end of time, that my sons would go on with their lives, get married, have children, and I'd still be in that parking lot.  'Has anyone seen Mom?' 'Not since she went to Westwood, back in 2012.'"  Gene nodded and smiled.  She's an empathetic gal.  She'd never try to top me with a better story.  Oh, wait, that's not true.  "My husband was stuck in the Galleria parking lot for two hours," she said.  "They had a power outage and everyone tried to leave at the same time.  For two hours, he kept calling me. 'I'm still in here.  I'm never going to get out.' He was going insane."  I looked at her.  "You topped me."  She buried her face in her hands, horribly ashamed.  "Oh, my God, I hate when people do that, and look what I just did."  "You topped me."  "I'm so sorry."  "Don't let it happen again."

3 comments: