Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bucket List

"I have a food question."
"Talk to me, Daddy."
"I'm picking up a bucket of the Colonel."
"I haven't had the Colonel since I was a kid."
"Here's the problem.  I'm picking it up five hours before we're going to eat it.  What should I do?  I don't want it to get dry."
"For starters, put it in the fridge."
"I put it in the fridge.  Then what?"
"Take it out of the fridge and get it to room temperature."
"When should I take it out?"
"About half an hour before you want to eat it."
"Okay, it's at room temperature.  Now what?"
"Reheat it in the microwave."
"For how long?"
"Maybe a minute to start, but not in the bucket."
"Why not in the bucket?"
"It's too tall  Put it on a plate, do a few pieces at a time."
"It won't get dry?"
"Wrap it in a paper towel.  It'll be moist, but you'll lose the crispiness."
"What can I do?  It's not a perfect plan."
"Or, if you want to keep it crispy, you could reheat the Colonel in the oven."
"How would I do that?"
"Put it in a Pyrex dish, cover it tightly in foil, and reheat it at 300.  Check it after twenty minutes.  You leave it in too long, it'll get dry."
"That's the whole point.  I don't want it to get dry."
"Then maybe you should microwave it."
"I think I'll microwave the Colonel."
"Do that, Daddy.  Forget the oven. You don't want it dry."
"I don't like it dry."
"Who does?"

No comments:

Post a Comment