Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Secret Ingredient

Actually, it's cinnamon.
I'd like to think some of the greatest recipes are the result of a culinary boo-boo.  As in, "Oopsie, I didn't mean to toss curry in there, but dang, that's delish."  I'd like to tell you that's what happened last night.  For starters, it's dicey to cook and chat on the phone with my mother-in-law at the same time. I'm not the best multi-tasker on the planet.  When it comes to cooking, I need to focus.  But I've made turkey burritos so many times, I could do it in my sleep.  Or so I thought.  "Uh oh," I said, while seasoning the ground turkey in the pan.  Followed by, "Oh eff, I can't believe I just did that." "What happened?"my mother-in-law, ever the inventive cook, asked. "I poured a ton of cinnamon all over the turkey, instead of chili powder." "Just say it's a fabulous new Mexican dish." "Great idea."  I wiped off as much cinnamon as I could, and waited for hubby to sample my creation. At first, he didn't say a thing.  "Taste anything different, honey?" "No." "You can't taste the cinnamon?"  A long pause. "Well, now that you mention it, this burrito is a little cinnamony." "Do you like it?" Another pause.  "I don't mind it." "It's a fabulous new Mexican dish."  "It is?" "No.  I messed up." Sometimes cinnamon happens. Sometimes it's a happy accident. Other times, an epicurean fail.  Oh, well.  It could've been worse.  It could've been curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment